Friday 20 November 2015

If the clothes make the man, how do Gresham Blake begin?


When I heard that my friend, James Sharp, had decided to order a suit from Gresham Blake I couldn't resist asking him to write a guest blog post about his experience. Thankfully he was happy to oblige, so it's over to James... 

With a location in London as well as our very own Brighton, a team of knowledgeable, dedicated professionals and a reputation for clothing celebrities from Fatboy Slim to Davina McCall, Gresham Blake sits proudly in the North Laine with a quiet confidence many other bespoke tailors lack. Especially when these are the people that design and tailor clothing for events ranging from perfect weddings to stage show performances. It goes without saying that they know their craft and they know it well.

Photo of Gresham Blake

But enough about Gresham Blake and his team. And more about me.

There comes a time in your life when you feel that you’re stuck in a rut. That things need to change or else you’re going to be looping in the same old forever. I look in the mirror and see a thirty year old man with forty on the horizon, looming in the distance along with a mid-life crisis, aching knees and ten o'clock bedtimes. Now, since travelling back in time wasn't something they really expanded on in school, it seems my only real choice is to embrace my collision with fate head first. But there was nothing said about not being able to do it in style. Gresham Blake, enter stage right.

Photo of the Brighton shopfront taken from the Gresham Blake blog

To many new suit buyers the first time purchase can seem daunting, even intimidating, from the initial desire to the first step through the door. Let me reassure you, it’s natural. What reassures you more is the talented people that swiftly introduce themselves know it as well. They aren't here to sell you manufactured clothing off a rack. They’re here to make your dreams come true and they do it with patience, reassurance and quite a bit of style! Now that might sound a bit whimsical, even fantastical, but a clothing store that puts the person before the sale is a rare gem to be treasured. Not only that, but words cannot do justice in explaining just how well they know their trade. Even if you simply stop by for a chat or have an enquiry, the experience will speak volumes for itself. Not to mention those volumes contain such a wealth of information, you’d be hard pressed to ask anything these men and women haven’t come across in their careers. Questions are answered succinctly, curiosities are explored and doubts are evaporated, all with smiles and that quiet confidence I mentioned earlier. Gresham Blake certainly lets the clothes do the talking.

Photo of Davina Mccall in a Gresham Blake designed suit
The choice in whether or not to make an appointment was made in my mind very early on during my visit. A big part of that isn't just because their designs, styles and capabilities are high quality, but because they made me feel like one of the celebrities they so often accommodate for. That alone sets them on a level few could ever hope to reach, but one you, I and everyone can experience. It’s truly one worth having and I whole-heartedly recommend it.

Stay tuned for a future blog post that describes the next stage in my Gresham Blake journey. This includes the endless choices of fabrics, styles, fashions, measuring and onslaught of questions I shall launch forth as my curiosity gets the better of me. Until then I'm going to be staring in the mirror and contemplating whether or not the pizza winning the pizza or salad debate was worth it. I guess I'm going to the gym more often this week. Until next time!

Gresham Blake
20 Bond Street Brighton BN1 1RD
Mon - Thur : 10am - 5.30pm
Fri : 10.30am - 5.30pm
Saturday : 10am - 6pm
Sunday : 11am - 5pm
Website: www.greshamblake.com
Contact: www.greshamblake.com/contact-us
Twitter: @GreshamBlake

No comments: