Tuesday 5 February 2013

Sunday morning run...


Today one of our regular bloggers from the past - Alix - returns to give us an insider's view of the Brighton Half Marathon... 

The Brighton Half Marathon takes place on Sunday 17 February. Thousands of runners of all abilities will take to the streets for the 23rd annual half marathon. The event attracts seasoned running veterans gearing up for the full marathon season through to newbies tackling a long distance with more enthusiasm than experience.

Last year I joined the Half Marathon for the first time. I was nervous about tackling 13.1 miles having only done a 5 mile run before. I needn’t have worried, it was a fantastic day. The atmosphere among the runners was buzzing and the crowds lining the route were amazing all the way round. I set off at a moderate pace and found myself moving faster than I expected, buoyed by the race day excitement.

For a novice runner like me, one of the big benefits of the Brighton Half Marathon is the route is very flat. There is only one slight incline at about the fifth mile, on the way out to Roedean. The rest of the run is a whistle-stop tour of the city’s iconic sights, including the Royal Pavilion and the Brighton Pier, without any gradient to worry about. The seafront is the grand attraction – miles and miles of glorious flat running surface with the most fabulous view!

The race starts and finishes on Madeira Drive, near Steve Ovett’s bronze statue and the Brighton Wheel. The dash to the finishing line is exhilarating, not least because it means the running is almost over! I completed my first half marathon in 2 hours and 25 minutes, more than half an hour faster than I’d dared to hope for, and loved every minute of it.

Image provided by the Brighton Half Marathon
I promised myself I would keep up with running after having such fun. But I was distracted by the amazing international sporting events of last year. Somehow I didn’t find time to go for a run. Instead I was rather obsessively following the Olympic Torch Relay or passively watching the astonishing achievements of the Olympic and Paralympic athletes. Suddenly it was autumn again and I’d not been for a run in months.

With the New Year came lots of good intentions. I have been running over the snowy hilltops of Ovingdean and the ice covered promenade of Hove. Yet I am nowhere near up to speed and have very little time left now to get ready for the big day.

I am determined to give it my best shot though because this year I am one of the many thousands combining the running fun with fundraising. I am hoping to raise funds for a local community event and I am going to make sure I earn every penny contributed to the award winning Deans Festival. (This is my sponsorship page in case you are interested – cheeky plug! http://localgiving.com/charity/deansfestival/project/alix-is-on-the-run)

Charity is at the heart of the Brighton Half Marathon. The event is an amazing opportunity to help others by seeking sponsorship for a wide range of charities. Hundreds of good causes benefit from people converting the pounding of their feet into donated pounds in the bank.

The run is organised by and the main fundraiser for Brighton-based charity The Sussex Beacon providing innovative services to meet the changing needs of people living with HIV. So if you are around on the day and see a donations bucket – please give generously.

Good luck to everyone taking part and a big thank you to anyone coming to support the craziness by cheering from the roadside!

Alix at the Finish Line
Thanks to Alix for today's post and everyone here at LoveBrighton would like to wish Alix and all the others nutters - oops I mean runners ;) - good luck!

Charlotte 

1 comment:

Brighton Restaurants said...

Wow ! excited for the event. Wish the morning be merry & sunny. Best wishes to the participants.