Thursday 28 April 2011

Siobhan joins VisitBrighton


Hello Brightonians and those from further afield! I am the new Marketing Assistant and I started at VisitBrighton last week. I have been given a warm and friendly welcome by all (despite my having conjunctivitis on the first day) and hope you shall enjoy reading my first ever blog!

In my first week, I was treated to the press launch of the Cultural Quarter in the centre of Brighton. This central area links the Theatre Royal, Royal Pavilion, Brighton Museum & Art Gallery and Brighton Dome. We were given a behind-the-scenes tour of the Theatre Royal, going under the stage and learning all about royal boxes and secret seats for royal mistresses – we even got to see where Laurence Olivier played cards between scenes! We were also shown where the Brighton Dome Foyer Bar now connects with the Brighton Museum & Art Gallery – good coffee and I want one of the red sofas!

This week I attended the launch party for the Artists’ Open Houses and have noticed that despite our external politeness, we are in fact nosey creatures. Perhaps this is why the Artists’ Open Houses is such a success. Now in its 30th year, the Open Houses are an eclectic mix of traditional and contemporary artistic expressions, as well as an inspiring insight into the architecture of the city, or just a good chance to get a peek behind otherwise closed doors!

Suffice to say that I have had a great start to my new job, and am really going to enjoy attending events and meeting loads of new people. I’m also going to enjoy continuing to rave about this great city!

Till next time,


Siobhan

No comments: